The word LAP-BAND® is the abbreviated combination of two words (LAP from laparoscopic and BAND from gastric band). The band is placed around the upper part of the stomach, dividing the stomach into two parts. The small upper stomach pouch can only hold a small amount of food. The remainder of the stomach lies below the band. The two parts are connected by means of a small opening created by the band. Food will pass through from the upper stomach pouch more slowly, which means you will feel full longer.
The procedure is highly suitable for adolescents.
[flashvideo file=http://c0469102.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/lapband.flv image=http://c0469102.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/lapband.jpg /]
One of the great advantages of the LAP-BAND® System is that the band opening is adjustable, which means that its diameter can be varied. The inner surface of the band contains a balloon that is connected by tubing to a reservoir which is placed under the skin in the abdomen during surgery. After surgery, the surgeon can make the band opening larger or smaller by adding or subtracting liquid in the office to inflate or deflate the balloon. In this way the tightness of the opening can be adjusted.
Minimally Invasive Approach
We use laparoscopic techniques (using small incisions and long-shafted instruments), to implant the inflatable silicone band around the stomach. The operative time is about 30 minutes and we routinely perform a hiatal hernia repair or prevention procedure at the same time to prevent reflux and stomach pouch dilation.
Least Traumatic Procedure
Since there is no cutting, stapling or stomach re-routing involved in the LAP-BAND® System procedure, it is considered the least traumatic of all weight loss surgeries. The laparoscopic approach to the surgery also offers the advantages of reduced post-operative pain, shortened hospital stay and quicker recovery. If for any reason the LAP-BAND® System needs to be removed, the stomach generally returns to its original form.
The LAP-BAND® System is an adjustable weight loss surgery. The diameter of the band is adjustable for a customized weight-loss rate. Your individual needs can change as you lose weight. For example, pregnant patients can expand their band to accommodate a growing fetus, while patients who aren’t experiencing significant weight loss can have their bands tightened.
The LAP-BAND® System Advantage
- Least invasive surgical option
- No intestinal re-routing
- No cutting or stapling of the stomach wall or bowel
- Reduced patient pain, hospital length-of-stay and recovery period
Fewer Risks and Side Effects
- Lower mortality risk than other obesity surgery procedures
- Low risk of nutritional deficiencies associated with other surgeries
- No ‘dumping syndrome’ related to dietary intake restrictions
- Allows individualized degree of restriction for ideal, long-term weight loss
- Adjustments performed without additional surgery
- Supports pregnancy by allowing stomach outlet size to be opened for increased nutritional needs
- Removable at any time (this is not desired or recommended, but it is possible)
- Stomach and other anatomy are restored to their original forms and functions
Effective Long-Term Weight Loss
- More than 100,000 cases performed worldwide
- Standard of care for hundreds of practices around the world
- Academic publications with up to 17 years of follow-up